safeTALK about Suicide: Starting the Conversation - He Timata Te Korero» 12/08/2011, Posted by Site Admin
Lifeline Aotearoa has started 'safeTALK', a suicide awareness and prevention campaign.
Included on their website at www.lifeline.org.nz/safeTALK_344.aspx are:
1. A series of brief video messages encouraging people to 'start the conversation'
2. Guidelines on how to:
* Check in: If you're concerned about someone and think they might be thinking about suicide
* Listen without judgement: When someone tells you they feel suicidal, or feel like 'ending it all'
* Take them seriously
* Ask if they have a plan
* Connect with professionals
3. Information about Suicide Prevention and Awareness programmes, from one hour sessions to intensive 2 day programmes.
4. In addition, from Tuesday 6 September 2011, a new free call phone line will be available at: 0508 TAUTOKO (0508 82 88 65) from 7pm - midnight, 7 days per week and you can talk to a specially trained helpline operator.
This helpline will be in addition to the existing services at:
* Lifeline New Zealand helpline on 0800 543 354 - available 24/7
* National Depression Helpline on 0800 111 757 - lines are open from 8am - midnight, 7 days per week
* The Lowdown (free text) Txt 5626 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Youthline 0800 37 66 33 (free text 234)